I've often thought about the other names my parents were considering for me. My mom tells me they thought about Karen, Susan, and Steven (gender was a surprise at birth back then). I wonder how my life might have been different as a Karen.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
A Robert by any other name...
I found this the other day and wanted to record it somewhere. Blog wins. It's a list of names I was considering while pregnant with Robert. I had intended to bring it with me to the hospital, but it had fallen off of my nightstand at some point. We were holding that little baby, looking at him, listening to him, and trying to figure out who he was. It took us a while, especially since I couldn't remember half of the names I had been considering for so long. Even after we decided he was Robert Jerald, it took some time for the name to fit. I can't imagine him as anyone else anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If I really think about my name hard, it doesn't seem to belong to me, the same way that the word "favorite" looks like its spelled wrong. But there really isn't another name that would fit either.
ReplyDeleteThe thing about the name Robert is there are several versions that he can try on to see if he/you likes them. Who knows, maybe when he's two, he will be a Bert (I'm hoping at some point, he'll be a Bert. I wanna call him Bertie. For no particular reason).