- This was the first time I had ever been involved in a funeral.
- A widow passed away quite suddenly and she had no family members who could dress her body for burial. For the first time in my life, I was able to help with that. I am forever grateful for my mom and the other excellent women I could consult with to prepare for this unique act of service. Their insights allowed this to be an unusually spiritual experience for me. When we finished dressing her, she appeared glorious, heavenly, at peace. I think I sensed joy. Was it her joy? I don't know. I just can't explain the feeling any better than that.
- Our Relief Society organization was asked to put on a luncheon for the family members after the graveside service. That's pretty typical, except our fine president had just had a baby the day before and would not be available to direct the affair. I was able to manage it, surprisingly enough, but only because of our president's meticulously clear notes, and nothing short of 14 fabulous volunteers who bought, prepped, served, setup, washed, cleaned, and babysat everything and everyone just as it needed to be done. I love, love, love serving with these people.
I'm happy. I would like to think about these happenings in more detail. I want to record more about this process and publicly thank those 14 volunteers by name, but that's not going to happen tonight. I'm off to bed.
I hope you got some good rest. After Bobby's post yesterday I wondered how you were holding up.
ReplyDeleteI am grateful that when we lived in SD the RS President invited me to come along and help dress a sister who had passed away in our ward. Due to her health and her living in a nursing home, I never knew her in life and I think the older sisters thought it may be a bit awkward for me, but I think studying in the anatomy lab prepared me enough for that one and instead it was a spiritual experience. And I believe it is an experience I am not likely to have again if we always live in Utah. Now I can't help thinking of that dear sister every time I go to the temple.
Susan, Who passed away? Good job! Funerals are always stressful but they can be spiritual too. I hope the next couple of weeks are relaxing!
ReplyDelete