Friday, January 24, 2014

Update on the Update on Alice's Piano Lessons :)

Much, much better! I found several free music theory primers, a couple online games that use a midi keyboard, and a neat set of worksheets for Alice to practice the theory she's now learning from her teacher. I spoke to her current teacher about my concerns, and it turns out that her teacher didn't want to squelch Alice's enthusiasm for learning new pieces by working through theory and basic technique. She figured Alice was doing fine as long as she could keep progressing through the songs. She's happy to work with my concerns, though, and get more technical with Alice.

The absolute best thing to come out of all of this, though, is confidence. I've emphasized naming notes and counting out measures for 5 days and now she beams with pride when she can figure out the song and get her hands in the right position by herself. She finally sees how much it's like reading! The notes, the rests, and the position changes are all spelled out to her on the page and NOW she can finally make sense of it. She's thrilled! I'm thrilled! Woo hoo! I'm not opposed to Alice "graduating" to a new instructor in the future, but it looks like we're on the right track for now. Yay!


2 comments:

  1. Hooray for confidence! One thing I meant to write on the last post was my experience with violin lessons. I also had great enthusiasm for it, so someone recommended "the best teacher in town". He focused a lot of theory and technique, and sure enough, I started progressing at a very fast pace. But the fun of it was all gone. I stuck with violin until I graduated from HS, but I regret not cherishing my ability to play because of all the pressure I feel to perform at a professional level. I'm so glad that I have such a strong background in ear training, technique, and music theory, but there definitely needs to be a balance between work and fun for it to be worth it. I'm slowly coming around to loving the violin again, but at the high cost of losing much of the skill I once had. I'm just so glad you were able to find that balance between progress and enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete