Monday, June 8, 2015

June Garden Picts

I love, love, love my garden in June. This year I have more flowers. I kinda like them there.

Left: strawberries. Center: snap peas, herbs, zinnias, petunias. Right: curcurbits, nasturtiums. Far right: peach tree. Far back: rhubarb, hard white wheat, corn, marigolds, bush beans, and swiss chard. Front: blueberries

A closer look at the herbs and flowers in the middle bed.

Points of interest this season: I grew snap peas in the second bed and they are using the chicken wire fencing as a trellis. Can you see how high they've grown already?! I love to plant peas as early as possible and I always think I'll get around to trellising them properly before it's too late. It's too late.

Robert's "birthday hole" was filled in. You can see it next to the three blueberry bush planters. I filled it in after an episode of disobedience regarding mud and Sunday attire/behavior, but I filled it in after the kids had gone to bed. When Robert discovered the change a couple days later, he thought the rain that night had magically swelled up the dirt to fill in the hole. He was thrilled! Terrible mom that I am, I have done nothing to dispel that belief. 

In other news, James has decided he likes to take pictures. His favorite subject last night:






I wonder how many flashbulb shadows/after images Matthew had floating around after this photo shoot. He certainly enjoyed James' attention.

I showed Matthew how to use my fingers to stand up from a sitting position. A couple days of practice later and he's eager to go finger walking. He's not very coordinated yet, and all the exercise gets him panting and drooly, but he's determined to get around! This evening, he steered himself towards the couch to play with James. Then he stopped and stared at a toy he wanted to pick up. He leaned and leaned and leaned until he was straight as a board leaning right over it. Couldn't figure out how to get to it from there. I bent him in the middle and sat him down right by it and Matthew burst into tears. Toys are fun, but mobility is far more important. Once he gets strong enough to hold himself well on two legs, I'll let the little kids take over all the finger walking. My aching back!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man. Alex used to be obsessed with the finger walking thing. Sometimes, it was the only thing that would keep him happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun place for kids to live!

    ReplyDelete