Friday, January 22, 2016

Girls' Weekend

Just got back from a weekend in San Antonio with two very good friends. Never having made an escape quite like this, I didn't have ANY expectations.

No, wait.

I expected the fun to be the best part: traveling around, seeing new stuff, playing tourist, joking around with old friends.

And while this trip was fun in all those ways, fun wasn't what made it such a revitalizing, rejuvenating, uplifting experience.

I was amazed by how spiritual and educational it turned out to be. I got to bounce my questions--any questions--to these ladies and they came back with real-life answers. Real testimony. They also asked a lot of questions and I got to examine myself and figure out where I stood and what I knew and what I loved about me and what I wanted to change. I won't remember even a small percentage of what we talked and talked and talked about over those 3-4 days, but I hope to retain some memory of the profound love and respect we share for each other.

I loved how the right empathetic sigh could soothe years of frustration.

I loved sleeping in 'till 7:15, the sunlight streaming in my window.

I loved cooking delicious, interesting food for people who appreciated it and ate it without complaint. Not one stinking complaint.

I loved working with three competent, capable adults to do all the planning and work.

I loved how quiet it could be.

I loved how dinner conversation could last 2 hours and I didn't even notice time passing.

And while we often talked about our kids, we were mostly talking about parenting our kids, which is different, and which I found much more helpful, educational, and spiritual.

Both of these women have a talent for bringing the gospel into almost every discussion. It's beautiful because they never sound preachy...just honest questions/thoughts from people who are working through this life.

An excellent experience.

Now to a few pictures:

37-DSC_0571

26-DSC_0535
Michelle can make me look so confident.

IMG_1674[1]


04-DSC_0501




3 comments:

  1. What a super experience! Forever memorable for comfort and validation in the middle of the daily battle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous! In the best way. Thanks for sharing about this. It sounds lovely and makes me want to do something like it. Also, two thumbs up for Michelle! We've reconnected -- we're in the same stake now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds heavenly! I laughed out loud at this one: "I loved cooking delicious, interesting food for people who appreciated it and ate it without complaint." Oh, that it were true every day!

    ReplyDelete