Thursday, July 20, 2017

*sigh*

I spent 5 hours in the garden(s) today and I'm still behind. Lots to do before I can even pull weeds! Remind me never to take a week off in July when I have 900sqft of garden in the works. Holy cow!

I screened for insect pests, pruned the tomatoes, reorganized the cuke/zuch tent, and harvested a few things: Brussels Sprouts, green beans, globe onions, zucchini, tomatoes, green peppers, collard greens and sweet corn today. I'm feeling good about that. Ran out of time, though, so I had to leave new potatoes and Swiss chard in the field to harvest tomorrow. Each crop has its own pest issues, but I've learned a lot and remain hopeful that I can improve things this season or the next.

IMG_20170720_094928839
Collard Greens on the left, Brussels Sprouts on the right. Teeny tiny watermelon plant between them. I don't think brassicas and curcurbits get along.

I've been really pleased with the collard greens this year. This was my third 'harvest' of them (cut and come again). I have a couple recipes I really enjoy eating and they require 2 lbs of greens that cook down a lot, so I get my fill and then I get a break.

We are pet-sitting some rabbits. When I say "we" I mean Robert and James under strict supervision. The boys are actually pretty good with feeding and watering the bunnies in a timely manner. Tomorrow is the first time "we" get to clean their cage, though...

IMG_20170720_154505503
The blue container is their "poo corner"...see the pellet pile? That, ladies and gentlemen, is only 24 hours of rabbit waste. Awesome.

1 comment:

  1. What are your recipes for collard greens that you love? That sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete