Just a note about James: he's growing up. It's been a sort of gradual change since he turned five, but here we are two months later and the difference is quite noticeable.
1) He doesn't fight preschool anymore. He heads out the door and into the carpool easy-peasy. No more octopus legs. He's staying in his church class better, too.
2) He uses reading and writing in his play. Just small things.
3) He and Robert can have explosive interactions, but they're using words to talk things out more than ever. Still some fists *sigh* but words feature more prominently lately.
4) James is actually a little excited to have Matthew join him at preschool after the Christmas break. They are better friends now than ever before.
And a confession:
I did the unthinkable today. I'm tired, so I'm not thinking clearly. Matthew has been really scared at night the last week. It has evolved to the point that last night he slept the whole night in our room (on the floor) and STILL woke up several times calling out for me. He begged to get into our bed. I don't want another night like that.
I was pondering what to do when it occurred to me that James might be able to help. Maybe it was time to make James and Matthew roommates. Unthinkable, I know! But I'm desperate. And tired. And fighting a cold.
Bobby asked the boys this morning if that was something they would like to try. They both loved the idea. So, we moved Matthew into James' room. Uncharted territory. Might be a rough adjustment. But maybe, just maybe, Matthew will find peace and comfort in a brother that's always there.
I think this will work because both boys like to listen to the same CD stories at night. Both boys want the light on all night. Neither boy is especially messy. They take their quiet time together almost every day anyway. They are already becoming better friends. James has been so warm and welcoming. They've actually been working together to rearrange the furniture a bit. It's like they're on the same team now. Maybe. For a moment ;)
Saturday, December 9, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow! What a wonderful solution! Seems to hit several different needs. Inspiration is a wonderful thing.
ReplyDelete