Thursday, April 11, 2019

Kite Flying


IMG_20190411_153406409
Happy kite flier

This afternoon, the kids and I met some friends at a giant grassy lawn near our house to fly kites. My friend looked at me smiling and said, "There you go again, being a fun mom."

I don't feel like a fun mom. Maybe I look like it sometimes because I have crazy ideas. I confessed to my friend that I had wanted to fly kites at this exact spot since the idea first occurred to me in 2003. This was the first time in sixteen years, though, that I had actually made it happen! I hadn't wanted to do it by myself as an adult. My kids weren't really old enough until now to manage it, or appreciate it. And I didn't have the right friends to do it with. Those were huge mental hurdles for me. But miraculously, this afternoon, the weather conditions and the kids and the company fit together just right to give me the kite-flying experience I had craved for almost two decades. I had fun! I was a mom having fun with my family and my friends. Outside.

I would enjoy more afternoons like that one. That would be lovely. Let's hope it doesn't take another 16 years to make it, though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment