Monday, November 18, 2019

Doing Some Math

I was fast-walking the track at the gym this morning, thinking to myself. On my mind this morning was the farm and my exercise goals and my schedule this summer. This is my last school year with a preschooler. That's been on my mind a lot. It's been 13 years or so since I regularly spent most of a weekday on my own. I'm curious about the change. A little excited. But also pretty sure that there's a lot I don't know that I don't know about this new chapter. Oddly enough, thinking about Matthew going into full-day kindergarten also has me thinking about Matthew leaving the house entirely. An empty nest. I'm curious about how that will feel and what all of us will be doing and learning at that point in our lives.

I did some math.

Alice born in 2007, Matthew turning 19 in 2033. That means the "kids at home" chapter of my life is roughly 26 years. When Alice turns 13 in March, we'll be halfway through it.

Astounding!

And I have the unsettling feeling that the first half was the easy part ;)

And that the third and fourth "halves" of motherhood will hold plenty of learning opportunities, too.

I used to think that change was hard for me. I don't think that's always true anymore. Change is sometimes refreshing and inspiring. It's inspiring me to love the now and be patient with its frustrations, at least. For now. Ask me again in 13 years ;)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I wish I had had you around to talk to when I was there. I love that you can enjoy the now and happily anticipate the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fascinating calculation! I am relieved to discover I have 3 years until halfway.

    ReplyDelete