3 kids on Robert's school team tested positive for Covid in the last week. 2 kids from James' classroom, too, tested positive in the same amount of time. Add that to the 2 families who attended church while unknowingly infected with Covid in the last month, and I'm actually feeling like possible infection from this disease is closer than it's ever been.
I'm not panicking, but Matthew is. I can't blame the little guy. Covid has so far mutilated a third of his childhood. He's kinda high strung already, so even the *idea* that Robert *might* have asymptomatic Covid sent Matthew into emotional overload. He was screaming and crying and wailing that our lives would be ruined forever. That Robert might die. That we'd all get sick. The shame and terror of that scenario was too much for him.
We all tested negative this week.
The youngest three boys received their first dose of the vaccine 10 days ago. Yay!
Matthew has since developed congestion, a runny nose, and cough. Here we go again. Might be Covid, probably not. Getting him tested tomorrow either way.
*******************************************
I've been going to the YMCA a few mornings a week to exercise. It's been really, really good for me. The last couple times, I've run into people I know from church, which makes it more meaningful. I'm not terribly close to any of them, but it's nice to run into people I know. I've missed that.
*******************************************
Last night, our Relief Society President was in a musical at the Virginia Theater. I went with a group of women from church. Again, it felt so familiar and so foreign to be out with people. I enjoyed the music more than I thought I would. One soloist in the performance moved me to tears and I suddenly remembered the magic of live performances done well :)
*******************************************
Bobby and I attended Alex's high school fall musical last week. Alex had two small speaking parts and lots of singing and dancing as part of the Ensemble. He did really well! He looked energetic and happy up there on stage. In his element. He looooooved it when a costuming mistake allowed him to ham things up and get a laugh from the audience.
Now that the musical is over, he's been hanging out at our house again, cracking jokes, practicing his "gentle parenting" techniques on siblings, and baking up a storm. His orange cream puffs were diviiiiiiiiine *sigh*.
*******************************************
Robert has been programming simple video games on Scratch. He spends a lot of time figuring out the math that allows him to program more realistic physics into his games. Seriously, this kid blows my mind. And he shares his ah-ha moments with me at the strangest times...like...whenever they pop into his head. Last week, I'm reading bedtime stories to James and Matthew when Robert asks if he can come into their room for a second. "Sure," I say, thinking it's a quick reminder or snippet he wants to share with me before going to bed. Nope. He launches into a very detailed explanation of the code he had to develop to simulate the momentum of a loaded jet pack.
*******************************************
In school last week, James told his music teacher that he plays the piano. She asked him if he'd like to play for them sometime. He said YES! Can you believe it?! My terribly quiet and shy son volunteered to PERFORM in front of PEERS. I don't get it. The very next day, he brought his piano books to school and played the two pieces he was working on for his lesson that week. He said they clapped for him and he was happy about the experience. He doesn't like to practice, but he likes it when he's finally learned a piece. I know the feeling very, very well ;)
So sorry Covid has clouded their young lives. But so happy that they have you and Bobby to help them through it. And thanks for sharing a little more of your life with us.
ReplyDelete