Hi there! It's been a little busy for me lately. I'm kinda running from one thing to the next with very little processing time. I'm working on an awful lot of goals! It's awesome, I love it, and it makes me tired.
Work has been different lately. There was all the extra work getting everything cleaned out and sold before the owner retired, and now there's all the extra work getting everything set up and ready to go with the new owner. We're all kinda weary. There's a lot to learn still since the new owner is a rip roaring business guy with 3 other successful bike shops. I'm still learning how to assemble and repair bikes, but now I also need to learn how to SELL bikes to customers and meet sales goals.
Maybe they'll hire some awesome sales people so we wrench monkeys can just work on bikes without interruption...maybe??
*sigh*
I'm super insecure about it all right now. I have this deep down fear that my manager will want me more on the retail side of things than on the mechanic side of things. The previous owner assigned mechanic work first-come-first-serve. Each mechanic got to pick and choose their work for the day. I could crank out easy things or take all day learning/practicing a new skill. This boss, however, prefers a more efficient method where specific jobs are assigned to specific mechanics based on their time and expertise. It makes sense. I can't blame the guy for wanting an efficient and productive business, but those priorities don't leave much room for learning, y'know? I'm not the fastest mechanic, and clearly I'm the least experienced one, so, when peak season hits...will they give all the mechanic work to faster folks? Ugh. Super insecure about this.
In related news, my goal to refurbish 45 bikes by mid-August is going well! I got in contact with a local charity-owned thrift store and they're letting me refurbish any bike donations they get in. I just fix them up, make them safe to ride, and give them back. I'm using my wages from the bike shop to pay for the parts. James and Matthew love working with me on this stuff. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's James who likes this stuff and Matthew just comes along for the company. I've refurbished 9 bikes so far! James and Matthew test ride all the kids bikes for me, any size. I can tell that I'm getting better and more confident with the basic stuff. That feels good.
![]() |
| Sometimes the donated bikes are in rough shape. This is Bobby cutting off a lock so I can work on the drive train. |
![]() |
| My test riding team. They really put the bikes through a lot, which I appreciate. |
Another goal I've got going is for physical activity. I joined an event at my gym called "Survivor". You sign up to do a certain amount of exercise each week for 7 weeks, each week getting more and more demanding. It's taking effort and planning to fit it all in. I'm counting anything I do at the gym and anything I do at home that replaces a more sedentary activity. For example, riding my bike to work instead of driving or going for a leisurely stroll instead of napping on a Sunday afternoon.
I've got seeds planted indoors now, too. Gardening has begun! The community garden folks I work with want to scale things back this summer. I'm okay with that.
I'm taking guitar lessons with Erin again. That's been great! I love it! I just wish I loved practicing.
Rachel and I rode 50 miles in 2 more states this month: Texas and Louisiana. I got to spend time with my parents and sisters in Houston, too. That trip helped me decide that I want to travel to see my parents at least every 6 months now.
![]() |
| It's too bad it's a mirror image :( This sign was a really fun one in Louisiana. |
![]() |
| Pedestrian overpass on our Texas ride. |
![]() |
| I didn't write this in Texas, but I like the sentiment :) And if you look really closely at the top, someone wrote my name. Not me. No one ever has my name, so I thought it was extra cool. |
We've had a couple sunny days and a 5-day weekend for the little boys. I took Alex, James, and Matthew to the Gilmore Car Museum near Kalamazoo, MI. It was fancy schmancy! No one got sick or threw up on this trip. Huzzah!
![]() |
| Matthew learning to drive a Model A. Wow, that was a complicated task. |
![]() |
| This is Matthew photo-bombing a picture I was trying to take of James giving wheelbarrow rides during a play date with a young friend. That's a complicated sentence. |
Our stake has decided to emphasize service this year. The whole stake was invited to volunteer at the Eastern Illinois Foodbank last Saturday. Bobby, Alex, and I went to the morning shift where we got to divvy up potatoes into smaller portions.
![]() |
| Is my hair actually THAT grey? Wow. |
![]() |
| Alex and several of his youth leaders from church. He has a really good time with them. |













No comments:
Post a Comment