Thursday, April 11, 2024

Two more tidbits

I went into the middle school office this week for some paperwork. They asked which grade my child was in and then his name. As soon as I said "Robert", the woman said, "Oh! Robert! Of course." Then, when the school counselor came down to deliver it, she talked about Robert as if she personally knew him. I was befuddled. How could office personnel and a school counselor assigned to hundreds of 8th graders not only recognize my child's name but act like they liked him? I was too curious to keep it to myself. I asked the counselor, "How do you know Robert?" She looked at me a little weirdly and said, "I'm his school counselor." 

"Yes, I know, but you have hundreds of kids assigned to you. How do you remember Robert in particular?"

"Oh! He's one of the higher performing students," she nodded, "And when I substitute in the classroom, I try to get to know everyone. Robert is just fun."

My confused look prompted her further...

"And I'm a lunch monitor, too. I see him every day and we know each other. He's so funny."

There you go, folks. The boy who regularly grouches at his unbearably annoying younger siblings AND aims to blend in and not get noticed by his peers somehow feels comfortable enough around his friends and teachers to show his funny and smart and just plain fun side. I love that side. I'm glad he shares it.

****************************************

Since getting home Sunday evening, I've been searching for my notebook. It's a tiny little notebook where I keep track of the bikes I'm refurbishing and all the repairs lined up for each one. I have 15 bikes in our garage right now in various states of disrepair and a pile of new parts ready to be installed, but only the notebook knows what goes where. I've been searching for that thing for days! This morning, I got desperate/creative and looked in places it really shouldn't be. Then, in a moment, it suddenly occurred to me that I could pray for help. Why didn't that occur to me 4 days ago?! As soon as the idea struck, I saw my notebook. There it was in plain sight but not where it was supposed to be. What a tender mercy. Of course I offered a heartfelt prayer of gratitude and shouted through the house with glee. Everyone was off to school and work except Robert. He raised only an eyebrow and then went back to whatever he was working on. I would have been okay without that notebook. I could have started a new notebook and figured it all out again. I didn't have to, though, and that was tender mercy.

Can't wait to get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment