Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Traffic Citation

I got my first ticket today. There was a cop waiting for someone to turn left onto Green St. and I was that lucky person. I made the turn on purpose, clearly ignoring the brand new "No Left Turn" signs, thinking I could handle the consequences...which I didn't expect to come. But they did. In the form of a $75 fine and my driver's license being held as collateral/bond. I'm still allowed to drive, but the TICKET is my license until I pay the fine which cannot be paid EARLIER than 10 business days after the ticket is issued. It's probably a paperwork issue that makes it necessary to wait 2 weeks before paying the fine, but I feel like they're telling me "You sit on this ticket and think about what you've done."

What's worse is I wasn't alone in the car. I had just picked up all the food and equipment to deliver Meals on Wheels with a friend from church. AARGH! So, I had to share my shame from the get-go, which is probably why I can blog about it now :) The cop filled out the paperwork while Tracy and I familiarized ourselves with the names of those 8 elderly citizens who would be receiving their lunch a little later (and a little cooler) today because of my decision to disobey a traffic rule.

I stewed about it the whole time we delivered meals, embarrassed that I had been CAUGHT! No remorse for violating the law. I thought about spiritual repentance, and knew that shame/guilt is pointless if it doesn't drive you to do something BETTER with your life. I wondered what I might be learning from this experience, and wondered why I was more ashamed of getting caught than actually disobeying the law.

Much thought and dicussion with Tracy ensued and I came to the silent conclusion that I would obey all traffic laws to the best of my knowledge and ability from here on out...all of them. If my friend could give up chocolate for years, I could obey speed limits, right?

It was obvious within seconds that something THAT comprehensive would take lots of practice. Apparently, I've been breaking all sorts of little rules knowingly and without feeling. Not a good sign.

1 comment:

  1. You know, obey the laws of the land and all that, but I often feel there's a spirit of the law, especially of traffic laws, that gets forgotten *all* the time, especially by those who are chosen to make and enforce the law.

    For instance, I consider it more important to not speed in neighborhoods than to not speed on freeways. On freeways I consider it more important to pay attention to following distance, not cut people off, not pass on the right, etc.: things that are important to respect other drivers, and also to avoid accidents. But...I get cut off by other drivers and get speeding tickets (2 now) from cops...and I still haven't learned. ;) But I've also never had an accident that was avoidable.

    Anyway, back to your post! I like how you ended your post, even if I don't completely agree, heh heh. Good luck trying to keep all the traffic laws, especially when the police are waiting right there for you to break them (hehe).

    ReplyDelete