Friday, August 7, 2009

CSA Share---August 5th

3 big cucumbers
4 small eggplant
1.5# green beans
7 small squash
1 bell pepper
1 hot pepper
7 tomatoes
5 sweet corn

Alice has taken to eating the tomatoes like apples. Knowing the corn was organically grown, I figured we would find a few corn worms inside. I got Alice all excited to find some caterpillars. Much to her dismay, it looks like the caterpillars had time to mature and fly away before we got the corn. Every cob was eaten at the top, but not one worm was found. That's the second time I've tantalized her with the idea of finding caterpillers under the husks and failed to follow through. Poor girl.

The corn was WAY underfertilized, by the way, so we got stubby little cobs with streaks of unfertilized kernels.

Squash, squash, squash. I will never need to grow this in my own backyard. Eggplant intrigues me. I WANT to like eggplant. I've liked it in the super-fancy dishes I've tried it in so far. Alice has taken a couple bites of it (again, like biting into an apple) and told me it's "not very good." Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment