Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Lonely?!

I found myself keeping Alice up way past her bedtime tonight because I wasn't ready to be alone yet.

*sigh*

I gave a presentation for the Champaign County Genealogical Society tonight while Alice played at a friend's house. When I picked her up, the first thing she noticed was how dark it was and the first thing she said was, "No night-night yet." Tonight, of all nights, the first time in my mothering history, I actually agreed with the girl about postponing bedtime just a little bit longer.

We came home and Alice went straight to the kitchen for a drink. I opened a birthday card from a very thoughtful sis-in-law and that caught Alice's attention. She asked what it was, I told her that my birthday was soon and Laura had sent me this nice card. Alice told me with great joy that her birthday was going to be on Saturday! Then she asked where HER birthday card from Aunt Laura was.

Uh.

Fortunately, she started talking about cake and candles before I had to remind her about birthdays happening only once a year. I realized at that moment that we had all the appropriate materials for a proper b-day candle-blowing session in the kitchen right then. Why not celebrate? I pulled out a couple pieces of cake and a handful of candles. When asked how many candles she wanted for her teeny piece of cake, Alice replied, "Yots!" Her cake fit only four, but she was satisfied. I put six candles on mine and lit our plates on fire. We sang "Happy Birthday" to each other and Alice giggled when she heard her name in the song. Then we blew the candles out! It took Alice a couple tries, but she did it without spit and she didn't catch her hair on fire. Woo hoo! She beamed with pride when they were all out...wish my camera weren't on the fritz again :(

We talked and laughed some more about birthdays and milk bubbles while we ate cake. I still wasn't ready for her to go to bed yet, but I knew it was time. I gave her a new choice in the bedtime routine tonight. Usually she can choose between 2 stories OR 1 story and 1 snuggle. I gave her the additional choice of 2 snuggles tonight and she grinned right away. She's a snuggler. No doubt. Besides, we had read a million books earlier when she thought she was postponing "quiet time."

We're missing Bobby quite a bit this time.

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like you guys have had quite a week. Happy Birthday and all that garb! Kelsey is here wishing she could see Alice again (sees her picture). Spencer is wondering when you all are coming back to our house, or us to yours. They really like you guys. Sorry your camera is on the fritz...anything I may be able to help with???? I've had mine like that a LONG time. Anyhow...enjoyed reading your posts! Have a great day and hope you have fun when Bobby gets home....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom said I should have gone out to see her, too ;) I was fine through all of Bobby's previous trips, so I didn't think this would be any different. Maybe I'm finally getting attached to the guy :-O

    Alice certainly is. She cries every morning when it's me, not Bobby, getting her breakfast. She asks at least 4 times a day where Daddy is, then doesn't like my answer. "No Cayifoeah, Daddy in Ootah!"

    ReplyDelete