Friday, November 13, 2009

It's a...


Human? This was the "best" shot of the baby's face the technician could get. Of course, our sweet little man was not exactly forthcoming...all balled up and wiggly at the same time. A boy! Alice was not surprised at the news, but she quickly informed me that the baby in HER tummy was a girl. I asked her what we should name him and she suggested "Susan." Bobby and I were thinking "Zurg Rex" was more appropriate considering the above photo (thanks to Joshua G. for the name suggestion, by the way).

Honestly, I'm struggling NOT to cram this boy into the "boy stereotype" box in my brain: noisy, destructive, physically aggressive, and disobedient with gusto. The funny thing is, most boys I know (and have ever known) do NOT fit that stereotype, and yet it remains.

After the ultrasound, we met with one of the midwives. He confirmed that everything important was in place and the baby was doing well. I asked about the possibility of an early labor again. Turns out, it only counts as early labor if it starts with contractions, not your water breaking. Shucks. Maybe this kid really will be born in April. Hm.

Bobby and I took our "Skelator" photos back to the car with us and started home when we noticed the car didn't sound right. We pulled off and discovered a very flat tire. Just 20 minutes later, we were driving home on our teeny donut spare and realized it was flat, too. A gas station was right there, so we filled up with air and prayed we would get to a tire shop in time. The spare held up just fine and we decided to go pick up Alice and share the good news with her. She was staying with her friends, and my friend, so I stuck around to enjoy a long chat with my friend about these crazy mixed feelings. I kept wondering WHY the gender thing seemed to matter so much. Why did I feel like curling up somewhere quiet and thinking about the news for hours? Why was this news something that I had to process and ponder when the news about Alice's gender was surprisingly easy to accept? I think it stems from that crazy "boy stereotype" of mine...like I will have to be a different mommy to each child.

But that's not all. My feelings are also complicated by the fact that I already have a vibrant and active little girl that I love dearly. The larger, and more pressing, issue is how another child will change what I already know and love about being Alice's mom. Alice and I headed to the tire place to get the flat fixed. They said it would take half an hour so we walked over to Culver's for a quick lunch. I held Alice's hand as we crossed the parking lot. She was chattering away about what she was smelling and how many cars there were and the mess of ketchup someone had left in the parking lot when the strangest thought crossed my mind, "This is one of the last times that it'll be just me and Alice." That thought makes no sense, and it's totally untrue, and yet I could hardly keep myself from crying. I'm mourning as if she's going to be taken away from me as soon as the next baby materializes. That's not true, of course, but the feeling is in there deep and I can't shake it off as easily now that the baby has a gender...and a face, of sorts :)

It turns out there was nothing wrong with the tire. No puncture, no valve leak. The tire pros couldn't find any reason why it went flat when it did. Funny, huh? I was completely relieved at the news. When we got back into the car, I happened to glance over at our ultrasound pictures again. I was struck with a fresh relief, a new thought, "Hey, maybe this mom-of-two thing isn't actually a problem that needs to be fixed. Maybe it'll be okay after all."

Now to think about boy names...

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you finally posted this! I've been thinking about you all day and dying to find out. I love how introspective you are about everything. I'm sorry you had to deal with the whole tire fiasco, but I'm glad everything worked out. Yay for boys! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I love how well you can express yourself. I completely (in my own way of course) understand your feelings. I wish I could tell you that as soon as he's born all the worries, etc will go away. But for a while I just felt like either Jessica or Chandler was getting ignored. I've found though that having a sibling has brought out this other amazing side of Jessica that I love. She was always sweet and loving, but I really think she understands the bond that's between family. There are times she'll start to cry because she knows Chandler is unhappy. Yes, there is a tough emotional roller-coaster ahead, but it is so worth it. You will love Alice even more (doesn't seem possible, does it?), and you will love this little guy an impossible amount as well, even if he does end up fitting your stereotype. But judging off of you, Bobby, and Alice, I would be highly surprised if he's anything less than an angel. Congrats! We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....so very cool! I understand those introspective thoughts all too well (3 or 4 times over). My mother-in-law even worried at one point that I wouldn't know what to do with another since my bond with Jordan was so strong. Life goes on and we learn to roll with the punches. M.L.J.C put it well when she said that you will find that you love Alice more and how impossible that may seem at THIS very moment. That same instantaneous love you felt for Alice will come with this little guy....stereotype fitter or not! He will be YOURS and you will find that your heart can love a whole lot more than you ever thought or imagined or gave it credit for!
    Congrats from down south!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for boys! I stopped by your house this afternoon to hear the verdict, but you must've still been battling flat tire troubles, or just off on another Susan adventure. :)

    Thanks for putting words to such important feelings. Listening to you helps me sort out my own processing. I know there'll be a lot more processing to do in the coming months. I look forward to reading about yours. :) And I look forward to experiencing all over again that heart-stretching feeling I had when Spencer joined our lives, to marveling at an infant's beauty as I watch him sleep, and to witnessing the changes that come over us all when a little person of such purity enters our home. Boy or girl, I know it'll be great. :)

    So many congrats to you and to baby Susan-Zurg. He's getting one of the most fabulous mommies I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to come check because I knew today was the day! Congrats!!!! I'm very excited for you! Just think of all those lessons that Rachel taught us about being a mother of sons. Now you will get to put them into practice. It is interesting to realize how each child changes you and the dynamic of your family. Today I was pondering on when I would feel like Peach was a member of the family. Now I'm realizing maybe my difficulty comes from the fact that she doesn't have a voice yet. This wasn't a problem when the other two were born since I had now idea what a vocal child was like, but now with two older siblings who contribute for good or bad in our family vocally, little silent Peach just seems like a visiting Angel. Motherhood is a strange, beautiful, confusing, exhilarating calling. You will be a great mother of a son, and Alice will be a awesome sister! Everyone knows that girls needs a real baby. Bread ball babies won't satisfy her forever :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea! Boys are wonderful. I totally understand your apprehension, though. Even though I really wanted a girl at first, now that I have my sweet, wonderful boy I can't imagine what I would do with a girl. I mean, girls are just whiny, emotional, bratty princesses, right? And I'm sure it will be a big adjustment while you learn to divide your attention. I wish I had some real wisdom to impart, but I know you'll figure it out and make it work wonderfully, at least most of the time. Remember that for you the anticipation is often (usually) worse than the reality, so don't let your emotional knots get too tight. I love you lots and lots and lots, and I'm thrilled to meet your son next spring.

    ReplyDelete