Saturday, November 7, 2009

North Carolina

I almost ended up in North Carolina. Back in 2002, I was looking for grad schools to apply to that had strong nutrition programs. University of North Carolina Chapel Hill was in my "top five" list. Little did I know at the time that North Carolina would become such an interesting and important place to me at this point in my life...or, uh, my hobby.

Yeah, yeah, I'm talking about family history again. Several of my requests for information from the North Carolina State Archives have borne exciting (dare I say titillating?) tidbits of information that advance my understanding of these people. One of my people was being sued for slander and false arrest. Others were squabbling over land. One little girl inherited huge amounts of property from both of her wealthy and well-respected grandfathers. All of these incidents turn boring old names and dates into REAL people. My people.

Before I was asked to be the director of our local family history center, I didn't much care for the family history scene. Now I wonder if I'll ever be able to give it up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment