Monday, January 25, 2010

Developmental Milestone!

Alice has moved from scribbling to the absolutely age-appropriate "preschematic stage" of drawing. How exciting! I remember learning about this in my psychology and child development courses. I've been secretly watching her drawings, waiting for the day she'd make this discovery on her own. Here it is:

Untitled


I drew the tub with Alice and Zurg inside, Alice filled in the faces. Then, out of the blue, she draws Mommy on the left...a circle with legs and a face! The next day, I ask her to draw Daddy (just to see how consistent this new trend is) and she does it again! He's on the right. People were only faces or scribbles before!

I marvel at how her brain and body are developing in ways that can't be taught. It just takes time to get there. I'm convinced this kind of learning/development continues long past adulthood. There are things I understand now as a spouse and mom that I never could have understood as an undergrad. There are things I know I won't fully understand until I'm much older still. Kinda cool.

3 comments:

  1. That's so fascinating. I love learning about brain development.

    P.S. Does Alice call him Zurg too? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, Alice calls him Zurg. She's pretty firm about it, too. Once she realized we were calling him that, she won't call him anything else. It's a real name to her. I wonder how she'll handle him having other names once he's born. He may just have to go by "Zurg" indefinitely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so you know she decided this morning that they all needed noses. So she drew them in. I got two because one was a bit too low, so she called it a chin, and then drew the nose in the correct spot.

    ReplyDelete