Alice and I are walking to the parking garage after our visit with the midwife today and we pass an elderly gentleman in a wheelchair a little behind a glass door. He appears to be waiting for his ride. He doesn't look well. Alice stops, points, and asks, "Is he real or pretend?" I'm taken by surprise and mutter something like, "He's real, let's wave hello." She doesn't wave. She just stares. He's motionless. She asks again, "Mommy, is he real or pretend?" I repeat my answer, but now other people start noticing her question. I start to feel watched. I don't know if I should change my answer and whisk her away or talk her through this new situation. Before I can decide anything, I find myself walking up to her and taking her hand, "He's real, Alice, let's wave hello." I wave and lead her to the parking garage.
The situation still sticks in my brain and I can't figure out why.
Friday, February 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment