I just learned from the termite guy that it's a "good sign" to have black ants in your house. Huh? Turns out that ants and termites are mortal enemies and ants win most of the time. So, not only are ants great for regularly testing the integrity of our food storage packaging (I'm trying to see this as a "plus"), but they protect our house from this termite-infested neighborhood. Wonderful news! I'll still squash them, but now with a lot more love.
This interaction with the exterminator reminded me of a couple other things I used to begrudge until I learned a little more:
1. Stinkin' hot summers with killer humidity and overnight low temps in the 80's. Believe it or not, there is a plus to this. It fosters beautiful, healthy gardens. My veggies grow vigorously and fruitfully all summer. I love, love, love that. The humidity also makes fireflies possible in my own backyard. I love those crazy beetles more every year, despite Alice's tendency to scream bloody murder and run indoors at the slightest hint of an insect.
2. Rain, rain, rain. We get a lot of precipitation out here compared to Southern CA and UT where I grew up. It used to bum me out. Now that I have a lawn and garden, I see rain as a very positive thing. I don't normally irrigate the lawn or remember to water the garden, so regular rain makes my garden possible.
So, if you feel like sharing, what is something you used to begrudge/hate until suddenly you realized it could do something for you?
Friday, June 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hmm, I commented before and I must've hit the Back button, because it didn't work.
ReplyDeleteSo ... onions.