Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dear Robert

Dear Robert,

I sure love you. I love the way your eyes squinch up when you grin. I love your manly little chuckle. I love how you waddle around the house and run to me with little treasures in your hands.

When you were still in utero, I wondered about you. I tried to imagine what it would be like when you finally joined our family. I prayed for you to be healthy and strong, but one night I felt impressed to add "valiant" to that request. It was a strong impression. So strong, in fact, that I started looking up names that could mean "valiant." Unfortunately, the names Abner, Barack, Jabari, and Valente never made it to the hospital list. Maybe you'll thank me for that.

I couldn't wait for you to arrive. You "missed" your due date by 4 days and I just didn't know what to do with myself. Then suddenly (very suddenly!), you were there in my arms. I was holding you and looking at you, still wondering who you were. All that waiting, and you were still a surprise.

We had a rough start, you and I. I wanted so much to be everything for you. It was a hard day when I finally realized I couldn't be all things to all the people I loved so dearly. It's still hard for me to admit that.

Alice loved you from the first day. She couldn't wait to teach you how to walk and talk. She wanted you to sleep with her in her room. She hugged, kissed, and snuggled you as much as you could bear. She still does, actually.

Today is the day before you turn one year old. I love your grin. I love your curiosity. I love your enthusiasm and courage. You have become so much! I look forward to exploring the world with you, Little Bob.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment