Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Back Again

As Bobby mentioned in his Sunday Summary, I've been gallivanting about with a few sisters and my mom through bits of North and South Carolina in search of our family history. We solved some mysteries, discovered a few more, and decided that at least two of us should come back next year to catalog our third cousin's stockpile of Walker/Fisher family history heirlooms. Yeah, baby.

If you want to know the nitty-gritty details, I'll sort through them bit by bit over the next several years on my family history blog: Wiley Walker Family History. Prepare yourself to be blown away by its awesomeness ;)  In the meantime, here's a quick look at our week of research and fun:


Gathering details on scandalous stories, finding kin among the locals:




Locking ourselves out of our car:




Touring Asheville (where hippy is hip, man):




Cemeteries, cemeteries, cemeteries:





Eating good southern food




Trying out some family heirlooms:




A little light reading:


And one crazy thunderstorm adventure I'll never forget:



It was a refreshing and exhausting trip all at the same time. My head is whirling with everything we learned and experienced. So many discoveries! So many more questions! So much data to sort through! And then there's all the time I got to spend with my mom and sisters on this adventure...I can't decide which part I liked best. All of it was family history. Some of it still in the making :)

I did miss Bobby and the kids at home. We tried to Skype or call every day at first, but Alice said it made her too sad and she didn't want to be reminded that I was gone. Robert just got frustrated that he could see me but not touch me. So, our communications faded off towards the end. It made my homecoming all the more strange. I literally hadn't seen any of them for days. I had forgotten what Robert looked like and how Alice chatted away constantly. They all seemed so different after only one week. We picked peas from the garden, ate a very special dinner, gave the kids a long bath, and settled back into the family of four routine...except the kids wanted Bobby, not me, to help them with everything. Ha ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment