Friday, October 21, 2011

Negangard Pumpkins 2011

Wake up, Buddy, it's time to freeze your tail off at the pumpkin patch!



We picked the most freezy, windy, bitter day of the week to go choose pumpkins. If I had held off just 24 hours, it would have been blissfully sunny and quintessentially fall. Oh well. I got to use the good weather for some of my own gardening projects. I think the kids had fun despite the cold :) Thanks to the Jarvies for suggesting snow pants!




He's either saying "That one!" or, "Alice is WAY too close to me!"

Freezing, freezing cold. If we hadn't had cocoa and toast for breakfast, I would have picked it for dinner :(
 Alice picked out 8 lovely miniature gourds/squash. She turned the acorn squash into a pirate jack-o-lantern:
The black spot is the eye patch next to a normal eye. The three holes in the middle are left, cheek, nose, and right cheek. Then there's the wry smile at the bottom. Only a birthday candle would fit inside :)

Then she wanted to cut a few open to see what was inside. We're drying some of the seeds to plant in our garden next year. 

Buddy just keeps trying to eat the miniature squash like apples. Very disappointing for him. I purchased a few smaller pumpkins and a couple butternut squash to cook for pumpkin/squash pies, breads, cakes, and cookies. I think I'll roast them in the oven and then freeze the puree. Alice also helped me pick out a larger pumpkin for a family jack-o-lantern.

I'm still not entirely sure how to approach holiday decorating, but Halloween seems like an easy enough place to start. A jack-o-lantern and a swarm of bats sounds just about right :)

No comments:

Post a Comment