Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Like I Need More Motivation...

UFHChallenge







My sister Erin gave me The Urban Farm Handbook for Christmas and I ate it up. This challenge just looks like fun. I'm already involved in urban food production up to my eyeballs, and I'm a little late to join in the challenge (it started in February), but I look forward to trying something new every month. Heck, I'm most excited to learn tips/tricks for integrating the different farm components I've already assembled. Chickens and orchards and compost and veggie gardening...they are less work together than they are separately, but only if you can integrate them. I look forward to learning more about that.

I'm also incorporating an organic approach to lawn care this year. Illinois soil is some of the best soil in the world. The general idea is if you can keep the soil healthy (i.e. compost, natural fertilizers, proper mowing technique, and some hand digging of weeds), then pests and weeds are much less of a problem in the long run. It also makes the lawn safer for kids and animals (i.e. free of pesticides and semi-toxic fertilizers). I'm not a fanatic about it. I just want to try this method first.

Let's see how things pan out by the end of June when the heat sets in and the weeds REALLY get going :)

1 comment:

  1. so I'm with you except what do you do about all the dandelions. I've been yanking them by hand for a month and am not making a dent. I think I'm just going to stick with weed and feed :(

    ReplyDelete