Monday, April 22, 2013

Developments this week

I've been working hard on my project list this week, getting all sorts of things going...except the garden. It's remarkably difficult to have everything and everyone aligned just right to allow any hard core work in the garden. Weather has been a factor, but mostly it's the constant interruptions for the boys' naps, feeding, and potty breaks. I can't really dive into a big project and get my hands dirty on my own schedule, y'know? So, this week, I've made significant progress on several smaller projects. I will get to the garden eventually. I hope.

Project-wise, I'm tackling some old ones and toying with new ones. While working on some quiet book pages, I turned on the first couple episodes of Frontier House. Robert was initially excited about watching a movie, but it wasn't the kind of movie he expected:

 

Bored to sleep with his tongue sticking out. Wow. Sorry, Bud.

And later, while I ignored James to work on something like this for Robert's room (pinned 47 weeks ago on Pinterest), he perfected rolling from his back to his tummy...


...and he cut another tooth.


And, finally, while I was rushing to finish two new pages of the aforementioned quiet book before church last week, the kids turned all of the magnetic paper scraps into a pleasant scene. I recorded Alice's 6-minute description of the piece, but even she found it tedious to watch (*gasp*) and I'll spare you the experience. Short version: the top scene is a far away girl walking her pet dog and pet alligator towards a bench in the park. The bottom scene is a girl outside her home, next to her own recreational lake.

I feel like my life is full. A good full. There is more to be done than I can finish when I want to finish it, but I don't feel overwhelmed...yet. It's just a vague feeling of urgency all the time..."what was it I needed to be doing right now?" I'm frequently interrupting one important job to complete another important (or more urgent, or more fun, or more kid-friendly) job. I guess I can't blame the boys' schedules for the lack of gardening going on. I just don't have any large blocks of time to dedicate to one activity. Oh well.  Sometimes I envy my retired neighbors and sometimes I'm glad that retirement is still a ways off.

1 comment: