Saturday, March 1, 2014

Silly Consternation

The other day, I'm looking through some papers and James comes over to play. He pulls one of the papers out of my hands and I say in a silly/grumpy way, "Hey! That's my paper!"

(Yes, this is all my fault.)

He gets a huge smile on his face and starts to giggle. He gives the paper back and does it again for my overdramatic reaction. I give it willingly because his laugh is just so darn cute. We play this way for a couple minutes and then we move on with our day.

Hours later, James hands me a piece of mail. And just as I'm saying, "Oh, thank you James, that's so nice---" he rips it out of my hand and smiles at me with wicked anticipation. I was a little shocked until I remembered the paper game from earlier. Then I gave the silly/grumpy response he was looking for and we played again.

How does James play? He plays by getting reactions out of people. Sure, he'll roll a truck around now and then, but most of his play and fun comes from derivatives of this game of "silly consternation." It's a very social/outward kind of game, played in that gray area between acceptable and unacceptable behavior. He acts, the other player reacts with exaggerated emotion and retaliates with a chase/grab wrestle.

Alice shied away from these games. Robert would just attack you if he wanted to wrestle. James likes the back and forth.

Yet another reminder that James is his own person, not a mixed salad of all my other child-rearing experiences. Dang. That makes it harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment