We're having a boy! What a relief to finally know. We'll share ultrasound picts once I have everything I need to get the scanner working properly...*grumble grumble*.
Alice came to the ultrasound with us and the boy news did result in a short period of sobbing and comforting. She cheered up as she saw more of the cute baby features moving and wiggling around (kidneys and brain measurements are only SO exciting for a 7-year-old). She also cheered up at the thought of Girls' Night being an exclusive affair forever after. The Father-Son Campout will just be another party for us at home. As for Bobby, well, he'll have his hands full those nights :)
Robert's reaction to the boy news was funny, too. He was really hoping
for a girl because he's convinced girl babies are cuter. And since
"girls make babies", our house would be "full of more cute babies"...in
the long run...somehow. When he learned he would be having another brother, he let out a disappointed, "Awww," but cheered up immediately when we informed him of his new baby brother's nickname and the sucker waiting for him in the car.
My own personal reaction to the gender news was immediate relief. Like this, "A boy? Oh, whew." Would I have felt the same with a baby girl? Probably. I was mostly relieved just to know. With each pregnancy, the gender reveal has become more and more important to me. Don't know why. Wish it weren't. That's how it's been.
This baby boy was active enough to dispel medical concerns and perfectly calm in every other way. He's normal to the point of boring. The placenta is way up high and towards my spine, so it's no wonder I've been feeling him move so early. During our brief look at him this morning, he had a habit of bringing his hands up to his face and ears. The technician was trying to get a picture of his face and all she could manage was his nose and upper lip. We joked that he was playing peek-a-boo with us and Alice decided that THAT should be his in utero nickname. So, now we have a Buddy Boo, a Jamesy-Boo (aka Little Boo), and a Peek-a-Boo. Bobby and I rallied for "Peek-a-Beau", but we'll see what sticks over the next 4-5 months.
I chatted with the midwife briefly about a few early signs of depression I've been experiencing. Good "sleep hygiene" seems to keep it at bay so far: going to bed on time without fail and taking rest/naps as needed during the day. That's good advice for me any time, but especially important now.
Alice and Robert are excited to start sharing a room. I'm interested to see how their relationship develops over the next few months.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yea! I was hoping for a girl for Alice's sake, but like you pointed out, being the only girl has its perks. So sorry about the depression, but sleep really does make such a difference. Love you!
ReplyDelete