Sunday, May 17, 2015

Grouching

Some ladies I barely know were nursing their babies at the same time I was at church today. We were all in the "Mother's Lounge." They were talking about engorgement when I walked in, sat down, and proceeded to feed a very loud and appreciative Matthew. There was a break in the conversation and one woman turned to me asking how things were going with my husband as bishop and such.

Let me tell you now that Sunday afternoon...when I'm tired and hungry and minutes away from wrangling all the kids home by myself for a half-lunch and a shortened quiet time...is NOT the best time to ask me about my life. Even if you're just trying to be polite and find something to chat about, at that moment, in that frame of mind, I don't chat. I grouch.

So, I probably gave them too realistic a picture.

Then they turned the conversation to toddlers and sibling spacing! I was happy to stay out of it, but the same woman asked me my thoughts on the matter. I don't have an easy answer for those kinds of questions. All I could think was, "I never want three kids 5 and under again." So that's what I told them. And then I told them I was relieved that my baby wasn't as young as their babies anymore. Why on EARTH did I say that out loud?!

Oh dear. Those ladies probably think I'm seriously depressed. And perhaps on Sunday afternoons, I am.

Catch me on a rainy day in my backyard when my big ones are knee-deep in mud and my smallest one is peacefully asleep in his crib and I'll have a completely different conversation for you. Then we can wax philosophical over things we can't control.

But on Sunday, it's probably best to leave the grouch alone :)

"Hey, Mom! Let me get a picture of you." *click* Then Robert puts it in a frame to give me for Mother's Day.  Just.what.I.wanted.

7 comments:

  1. I'm with Robert. I love this picture. And you have a right to whatever you are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The framed pic of you for your Mothers Day gift is hilarious. It's exactly what HE would want... Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... I am sure being the bishop's wife is not easy, especially on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Maybe you can replace your creepy buck-toothed profile photo now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I love the new family photo header. Motherhood is really hard. It's ok to admit that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate that you are keeping it real! Nothing worse then someone who can sing song through everything ;) And being the bishop's wife on Sunday is terrible. I'm not the bishop's wife, I'm just a girl whose husband only made it to 1/4 of the Sundays over the last three and half years and I considered almost every Sunday just being done with the whole thing. The last three months he's been off on Sunday and all the sudden church is nice again. So maybe they just need a reality check :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate that you are keeping it real! Nothing worse then someone who can sing song through everything ;) And being the bishop's wife on Sunday is terrible. I'm not the bishop's wife, I'm just a girl whose husband only made it to 1/4 of the Sundays over the last three and half years and I considered almost every Sunday just being done with the whole thing. The last three months he's been off on Sunday and all the sudden church is nice again. So maybe they just need a reality check :)

    ReplyDelete