Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Sneak Peek

Have a look at the concept for our new kitchen!

IMG_20160219_124943572


My favorite part of this whole process has been the logic puzzle: figuring out where things go to optimize our priorities. The major impetus for this update was traffic flow and functionality. Check and check. Imagine having a pantry actually in the kitchen instead of the guest room! Dreamy. And envision a major thoroughfare completely unblocked by a fridge and garbage can! Makes me want to dance a jig.

Now comes the part I have dreaded...choosing colors, shapes, sizes, and styles for all the cosmetic stuff.

*groan*

I know I want a cohesive design that makes the kitchen a warm, inviting space, but I have no clue how to achieve it. And I don't want to take the time to learn a whole new skill. And there's too much that I like to just "choose what you like" and call it good. Dumb free market economy.

Bobby scoured the internet for kitchen design pictures that might help us narrow things down a bit. We kinda agreed that this one came closest to the cabinet color and appliance color and lighting setup that we had mentally envisioned:


I'm not keen on the backsplash, but everything else seems just fine.

Fine. I find that feeling a little unsettling. Shouldn't I be passionately in love with the new design we choose? Then again, there are oodles of kitchen styles that I love more than this, but would never put in my own house. So why do I feel kinda disappointed about this one? Clean lines, pretty wood color.

Maybe it's just too neutral? My current kitchen is dark walnut and avocado green with cream counter tops speckled with blue, grey, and pink. I guess I could use the back splash to introduce a hint of color. Maybe blues.

This kitchen is also completely devoid of anything soft...curtains, dishtowels, rugs. Hmm.

Color and fabric will soften it a bit and make it more inviting. Maybe that's all it lacks. 

5 comments:

  1. Streamlined!! Looks like it will be a joy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting! Can't wait to see it when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two cents. I love the kitchen in our townhouse, it is well laid out and uses materials that make sense (oak cabinets in a toffee color with a very simple door design, and quartz counter tops) but it isn't anything amazingly wonderful from a design perspective. In our current house I have dark cabinets with a more intricate door design (I hate cleaning them, I hate the water spots, I hate how dark they make the kitchen feel), we have granite, which I also don't like nearly as much as I like the quartz. So I don't know that I has to be "AHHHHHHH" to make you happy. Our current kitchen is much more current in its design, but I would take the practicality of the design of our other house any day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice! So much workspace, so much storage space. Heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the design. I'm not crazy about the cabinet doors or tile. But i am more a gray/black/white person. And my next cabinet doors will be flat. I hate the crud that builds up in the detailing on my current cabinet doors.

    ReplyDelete