*sigh*
He's sooooooo 2 years old.
This is Matthew in a nutshell:
![]() |
| I can't get enough of this cheesy "camera smile"! |
--Comfortable with people, both the familiar ones and the minor acquaintances. He has no problem going to nursery or gym child care.
--Acutely aware of what the older Evans kids are doing, fully expecting to be capable of the same. He laughs at jokes he doesn't understand. He can spell B-U-T-T because it makes the other kids laugh and laugh and laugh. He tries to count like James. He tries to read like Alice and Robert. He tries to cook and wash dishes and fold laundry like me. Mostly, though, he really wants to drive a car.
![]() |
| Bbbbbbbbbbb...tshhh. Kcheeeeeew! |
--Hobbies and interests include: babies, buses, dogs and cats, motorcycles, trucks, scissors, and baths. This boy could bathe for hours.
--Not a snuggler, but totally a smiler. James has learned that he can diffuse almost any tense situation with Matthew by cracking a huge smile and laughing. Not that he uses it that often...
--Certainly understands "if...then..." statements, but will not readily comply. He can throw a moderately entertaining tantrum ;)
--Likes sucking on lemons, even when siblings aren't around. Favorite foods include all fruits, yogurt, and cheese. Meat is pretty well-accepted, as are certain veggies, and he's not afraid to try new things yet. Bread, though, is not his thing. Noodles, rice, and cereal get a thumbs up, but bread...meh.
--Generally happy little guy. Plays well on his own, exploring, getting around. He has no trouble climbing to the top of a stool or moving a box over to get something out of reach. He doesn't even think to ask for help anymore.
![]() |
| Whoops! Dropped the measuring cup in the bowl. No prob. |
--But he often asks permission for routine things, and often obeys the answer. He reminds me of baby Alice in that regard. He asks to go into someone's bedroom. He asks before he grabs something off of the counter. He asks if he can play with this toy or that book, except when it comes to something James has. James has shown Matthew that the aggressive grab-and-yell is how he prefers to ask for toys, so Matthew returns the courtesy.
--When he plays with me one-on-one, which isn't often, it's usually a game like "Mother May I?" where I come up with silly things to do and he decides if he wants to see it or not. "Can I kiss your cheek?" "Noooooo" "Can I blow on your hair?" "Yeeeeees"
--He really doesn't like nap and bedtime :( When he feels either one coming close, he'll start to get worried. Then when it's clear he's headed in that direction he just sobs. Most of the time, though, I can distract him with enough choices (want the teddy bear or stuffed monkey? sippy cup or no? music or book? closet light on or off?) that he's calmed down to merely a whimper by the time I leave the room.
I see his personality every day, but he's changing faster than I can pinpoint most other things. He's getting more independent ("me do it!"), more funny, more logical, and more interactive. He's carving out a little more time and space in the house/family routine, expressing himself and figuring things out. He's starting to hold his own and develop individual relationships with each of us. It's a good age to be!
Happy Birthday, Matthew!



Happy birthday Matthew!! I didn't have his day on my list! When exactly is it? Today? So glad he joined the family!
ReplyDelete