The curtain rod box did not stand alone long before Robert took notice and asked if he could have it for his very own. It's long, squarish shape inspired him and he didn't want to put it down. Even when we all piled into the car to run an errand. I should have taken a picture. It reached from the back seat to the front seat, dividing the car down the middle and everyone just kept talking like that was a totally normal thing to take with you to the store (It's stuff like this that makes me love this life and this family. Sometimes we get to make our own rules.)
Anyway, Robert decided this box was perfect as a set of wings on the biggest cardboard creation he had dreamed of yet. Even Alice took interest. They started scheming. We got back from our errand and she asked for graph paper so they could draw a scale model. At one point, Robert said something like, "I'm really good at being creative. I can use my artist skills to make the idea, then you can use your smartness, 'cuz you've been in school longer, your math and reading skills to make my idea better!" They were working together so well, so enthusiastically, so cooperatively, that I put Matthew to bed on time and just let them keep working. Even James is finding the process interesting enough to ward off his "gotta bug you" boredom games.
I've gotta admit, on their best days, Alice and Robert make a stellar team.
They used painter's tape to translate their graph paper drawing into a 2-D drawing on the floor. That's when they realized that 19 feet long is probably too long. They settled on 13 feet long, 4 feet wide, and 3 feet tall. The wingspan will be about 14 feet.
I've been stockpiling cardboard boxes for months. We're going to need a TON more.
It's nights like these when I wonder WHY they don't really like to play with Lego.
![]() |
| Robert created this little "man" last week, inspired by an empty #10 can in the recycle bin. Other materials include card stock, craft sticks, and a roll of packing tape. |

No comments:
Post a Comment