This morning I rode my bike 23 miles at an average speed of 16mph. It took me 90 minutes. That's my longest and farthest ride yet...almost as far as a marathon run. The wind wasn't too bad today.
I loved it until the last mile heading home when there was a little hill to climb, my body ached, and I suddenly regretted going so hard for so long.
I parked my bike, stretched a little, and walked in to the kitchen where the older kids were just getting ready to go to school. James cocked an eyebrow and asked, "Why are you all wet?!"
Wet? Huh?
I looked down at my t-shirt: belly, back, and armpits were soaked with sweat. I also had sweat dripping down my forearms. The ride was kinda muggy this morning. I felt strong, though, even if I looked a little slippery.
If you had described this scene to me 5 or even 2 years ago, I wouldn't have believed you. I don't normally enjoy sweating.
Anyway, it was a good ride. I didn't know I could do something like that. I could probably do more without hurting myself. It got me thinking again about my next training goal. Could I train for a 30 or 60-mile bike ride this summer? Could I compete in an Olympic distance triathlon (0.93mi/1.5k swim, 25mi/40k bike, 6.2mi/10k run) next year? In all honesty, they sound like really exciting and really lonely goals.
Why lonely?
Because I don't have many friends who enjoy training for triathlons. Or 30-mile bike rides. Or running at all. Swimming laps isn't exactly something you can share with someone, either. The further I go into this exciting realm, the more I crave people to enjoy the experience with. And to learn from.
I have invited friends to bike with me. Another friend got me to join a local running club. Both are helping. Relationships take time, though, and building new relationships is a whole different kind of exhausting for me.
At the triathlon in April, there were two pretty big triathlon clubs in attendance. Their members wore matching jerseys and they cheered each other on. There appeared to be every level of experience represented, too. Many ages. I would love to join something like that in my area, but I haven't found one yet. The running club seems the closest fit so far.
I dunno. Just thinking about things. I love it, but not enough to do it all alone. Yet. We'll see.
Monday, May 14, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Back in the day I did a 100k bike ride on essentially no training. It is probably the most painful thing I've chosen to do. I was in tears the last 5 miles and couldn't walk for 3 days, but I'm still pretty proud of that accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteI understand the lonely part. I'm trying to find good hiking buddies, but my anti-social nature is getting in the way. Good luck! And congrats on the great ride. Olympic triathlon all the way!
ReplyDelete