I don't know exactly why, but our library has a circulating collection of board/card games. And musical instruments. And crafty hardware like sewing machines and fancy digital scrap booking paper cutters. I'm hoping they'll break out into small animals soon so the kids can try out some pets.
Anyway, we've checked out a few games already and I'm SO glad we have. Some of these games cost upwards of $40-50 each and have complex rules that only really start making sense the fifth time you play them (King of New York). Some games look really cool, but fall flat after you play them once or twice (Exploding Kittens). What I've really enjoyed, however, is learning to play these games with Alice and Robert. Robert is especially fond of that time together. He has been giving more hugs and spontaneous "I love you"'s since we've been playing more regularly. He likes winning, of course, but he likes the give and take and strategy and anticipation of the win, too. He's not very sportsmanlike yet, though. Gotta practice that a bit more.
It's been fun. Just wanted to share.
And one more thing, unrelated to games: Robert came up to me yesterday with a big smile on his face and a hug and he said, "Mom, I love playing the piano now." My heart skipped a beat.
"Really? Why?"
"Because of DUH-nuh-nuh-nuh DUH-nuuuuh." ("Everything is Awesome" from the LEGO Movie)
His new teacher has him playing that. And he, apparently, loves it. A lot. Enough to enjoy his daily practice plus pick things out on his own again. He doesn't even ask for my company anymore during his practices. A complete turnaround for this guy. Wow.
Sunday, July 29, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jake enjoys playing the piano more now since he can choose whatever music he likes, so much more than when his mom wanted him to play the hymns. So yeah! For a piano teacher who understands that not everyone wants to play fur Elise (especially boys!) and yeah for Lego movie sheet music!
ReplyDeleteWe're bringing a bunch of board games to the reunion, so hopefully you will all get a chance to try some new ones. I bet Robert will like RoboRally. I'm jealous of your library that is so awesome they have all those things you can check out! So excited to see you all next week!