Thursday, July 5, 2018

Wise James

Two life lessons from a 5-year-old (I learned them this week):

1) When you're biking and you come upon a little hill, bike harder. And faster. Don't slow down.

2) Exasperated that I wasn't giving him everything he wanted right when he wanted it this morning, James screeched, "You never listen to me!" It's true that I had said "no" to several of his requests. Even I was getting frustrated having to tell him "no" so much. But it occurred to me to ask him a question, "When exactly did you feel I wasn't listening to you?"

*silence*

"Was it because I didn't give you what you wanted in the store?"

*pause* "Yes."

"Did I completely ignore you or did I answer your questions?"

*silence*

He didn't bring up the subject again, but I was the one stunned to silence. How many times have I equated "being heard" with getting what I want when I want it? So, so many times.

James recovered pretty well after this incident. By the end of the day, we were on a walk with Alice and Matthew, playfully shaking rain from tree branches on each other's heads.



IMG_20180704_113047869
Fourth of July Parade cuteness.

IMG_20180704_141356181
Devouring parade candy and playing a new game together. Not a bad way to stay cool on a stinking hot holiday.


1 comment:

  1. Wise insights. And look at those grown up kids!!! We have to get out there soon before they are adults!

    ReplyDelete