Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Masoo!

With James in full-day kindergarten, I get a lot more one-on-one time with this guy:

IMG_20180824_122147042


Matthew likes a lot of attention. When it's just me and him, he doesn't stop talking. Ever. He's telling me stories, asking questions, sorting out our schedule, clarifying memories, and trying to involve me in every type of imaginary game he can concoct..."Do you WANT to be a superhero baby kitty mommy? I'm a superhero baby kitty and I need a mommy." All the while I'm trying to get chores done, run errands, work on long-term projects, and periodically blog :) I spend time playing with him, too, but it's never enough for his insatiable, sociable nature.

"Mommy, watch this WHOLE thing." (he gets the toys to act out something funny like falling off a cliff)

"Mommy, I have to tell you a secret. But not here. In your closet." (we move into my closet) "I have to tell you that some monsters are real. But just the nice ones. Nice vampires that like the sunshine. Monsters that don't run away when you want to hug and kiss them."

"This song is about me! Rocka Ma-sooo in duh bay!" (actual lyrics: Rocka my soul in the bosom of Abraham")

And then, the moment we pick up his brothers from school, he stops talking and just watches the drama unfold.

I love having more patience and time for him.

I love that he wants to engage me and make me part of his inner workings.

I love that he's excited about being home with just me. He's excited for now, anyway.

I love that we can do things together that used to be painful for 3 or more of us (grocery shopping) and have fun doing them one-on-one. He gets to choose the yogurt flavors and stuff. So fun!

He's adapting to preschool on his own alright. He's happy when he gets there and happy when it's time to come home. Doesn't get much better than that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment