As part of my 40th year
goals, I had decided to fix something that had been bothering me for a
long time. I pondered my options a bit...so many things have bothered me
for so long...and decided to tackle one particular sticky relationship
issue that I had been struggling with for 10 years. I knew the problem
rested completely with me, not the other person, but I hadn't been able
to resolve it on my own or by bouncing it off of my usual friends and
family members who help me through stuff like this. I decided that it
was time to talk to a therapist. That was hard.
I
gathered the courage to ask a friend of mine (who is a social worker) to
recommend a therapist who would work well with my personality and
specific problem. That was hard.
I contacted the
therapist to make an appointment. That was the hardest. It took me a
month to get around to it after I initially got her phone number.
Then
we met. I laid it all out there. She asked questions. I probed myself
and found answers. More questions. More probing. Chatting it out with
her over the course of a month, I came away with a bigger picture. I saw
some of my own fallacies and strengths. I was ready to change. That,
surprisingly, was not as hard as I thought it would be.
So,
even with the work still going on inside my brain and heart, I've found
some healing. The issue no longer bothers me. Yay! Now to put together a
list of new places I'd like to visit and skills I could possibly master
in the next 9 months...hmmmmm.
Saturday, November 3, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow. Good for you. That takes some real strength.
ReplyDeleteOh, and my blog feed has a picture of you and someone else taking pictures of something, which I guess you deleted from this post, and it's leaving me hanging. What were you taking pictures of and why?? :)
ReplyDeleteYay for you! It takes a lot of courage to look at a problem head on and bring about a solution. I'm really happy for you!
ReplyDelete