I've gotta say, this birthday was one of my favorites so far. Usually I struggle to enjoy my birthdays and other holidays because I expect it to be special and different and magical somehow (like real life will just stop happening for 24 hours??). I have been so disappointed so many times. Sigh. So, this year, I tried to make it a special day in very ordinary ways and my friends and family were the ones who made it magical ;)
It started with the kids letting me sleep in until 7am. They didn't remember it was my birthday, or else they would have been all over me much, much sooner. When I told Robert it was my bday, he got sad. James, too. They were both sad that they didn't have presents for me. I told them all I wanted was time with them. James furrowed his brow and said, "I know what to do." Matthew immediately started crawling all over me and in my face like a puppy dog. That's soooooo 4-years old: give the gift that makes you happiest. Thanks, dude, I love you, too.
We had a slow morning with cocoa and toast for breakfast. I released myself from all my chore obligations, which meant I only did the chores I really, actually wanted to do. That's a good feeling.
I arranged for my boys to play at the Davis' house and Alice to hangout at another friend's house. They. Were. Thrilled. I dropped them off and headed home for a walk with my close friend. Well, I thought it was going to be a walk, but she decided to surprise me with a tour of a community garden I hadn't seen yet. What a treat! The garden had cold frames, a grape arbor, raised beds, and rows upon rows of growing vegetables that I got giddy exploring...squash, beans, tomatoes, peppers, watermelons, okra, lettuce, and some flowers. After the garden walk, we went to my friend's house for lunch where she had prepared a giant pile of cooked veggies (even mushrooms!) and I ate some of the best corn on the cob of my life. I tried not to moan too loudly. That kinda weirds people out, y'know? Her kids made me birthday cards :) and she gave me a little succulent with very clear instructions for its care. I need very specific instructions for indoor plant care. Luckily we haven't killed James' cactus...yet...
After lunch, I had an hour left before it was time to pick up the kids. I visited another friend who had some things we would need for our family movie, then made a quick stop at Aldi for tuna. I haven't found another tuna I like any better than Aldi's albacore one.
The kids had had a GREAT time at their friends' house. They were happy. We collected almost 200 library books from around our house and took them back. Alice and Robert had piano lessons. I made Musmun Curry for dinner and took half of it to another friend's house to thank her for caring for our chickens and garden while we were in Ohio. I don't think I could have asked anyone else to spray my brassicas with Bt. Bobby had stayed up late the night before preparing my birthday dessert: dairy-free banana pudding. It was perfect, by the way. Absolutely perfect.
Erin came over for dinner and the whole house got in a better mood at once :) We were already feeling good, but Erin has her own kind of magic. We ate, opened presents, and watched some old videos Erin had taken of the kids while Bobby and I were in Hawaii, then soon after Matthew was born. We laughed so hard. When we were living life back then, we didn't know which of the kids' behaviors would stick and which would turn out to be a phase- or age-specific quirk. Well, some behaviors clearly stuck. Hard. What didn't stick was the speech impediments. Robert has no moral ground to correct ANYTHING Matthew or James says any longer.
Erin gave me a bottle of Mexican vanilla (mmmmmm!) and a mandolin slicer. Both things I had mentioned recently wanting to procure. I was touched by the thoughtfulness, practicality, and personal nature of the gifts people gave me this year.
Even the kids. At bedtime, Robert handed me two coupons for a 5-minute shoulder massage each. He knows what I like! I always redeem those babies. We put the kids to bed and watched The Incredible Hulk. I'm rewatching the Marvel movies in order of their release date. Just for fun. And Bobby and Erin were happy to help me that night :)
Then this evening, 2 days later, James snuggles up to me and asks, "Did you ever figure out what my present to you was?" I thought and thought, "Nope."
"Well, I wasn't mean. And I didn't get any time outs."
"Really!? You did that for me?!"
"You always say you want us to be nice and not fight so I decided I would do that for your birthday."
(Big smile. Hug.)
I'm lucky to have these guys. Each one...Bobby, the kids, my friends, my family, and all the other people in my life who love me and whom I love. Thanks to every person who reached out to me and wished me well. I'm feeling super loved and watched over. What a gift!
Thursday, August 15, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
200 library books! Were they all from one library?
ReplyDeletethat does sound like a wonderful birthday! So happy for you to have such a great day.
ReplyDelete