Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Shadow's Passing

I regret to inform you that James' pet fish, Shadow, passed away quietly at the end of last week. He had been acting sick for several days. Bobby and I could see what was coming. James was concerned for him, but we all felt helpless. Do you take Bettas to the vet? Bobby tried to prepare James for the worst. I finally went online and did some research, diagnosing Shadow with severe constipation (very common in Bettas fed dry flake and pellet food, apparently, but none of the "here's how to care for a Betta" resources we scoured made that big a deal of it *groan*). But it was too late by then.

James discovered Shadow's body on Saturday morning. He cried and cried and cried...the shock of it, the grieving, the blame, the sadness, and so much loss. The other kids were feeling it, too. While Bobby helped James through the first of his grieving, I had Matthew crying on my lap and Robert snuggled up close on one side. Shadow was our family's first official pet (chickens only count halfway). And he was also the first creature to die with whom we had developed any real attachment. James didn't want a funeral, fearing it would make him even sadder, but he did take a good long time with Bobby finding the perfect burial spot. There's a memorial there now. Rest in peace, Shadow.

I wondered how long James' feelings of loss would endure. Shadow had lived with us for 8 months. The other kids pooled some of their allowances together and gifted it to James to help buy another fish. James found comfort in that gesture. He was a little withdrawn and forlorn the rest of the day, but soon became eager to try again with another fish.

We went today to choose another male Betta. James wanted to get one just like Shadow and name him Shadow Jr., but I encouraged him to choose someone new with a new name. We came home with a better (*ahem* high fiber) fish food and a gorgeous, navy blue Betta that he eventually named "Starlight." 

Welcome to the family, Starlight.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful name. So glad James is able to heal and move on.

    ReplyDelete