Here's a fun little quiz (though it takes quite a bit of time to load, depending on traffic) about how the US gets its electricity. The average score is 63%...can you beat that?
P.S. I do not outright agree with nor reject the opinions stated on this website regarding the environment. I do believe, however, that we can do more on every level to reduce our negative impact on the environment. It all starts with awareness and asking questions.
Monday, August 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I got 75%.
ReplyDeleteI just want to note that producing enough and being able to utilize enough energy (from wind) are different.
Hm...I didn't understand your point at first, so I need you to clarify...
ReplyDeleteDo you mean that even if wind power can PRODUCE enough energy to account for all the fossil fuels burned in our country, that doesn't mean we have the technology to UTILIZE that form of energy production on a day-to-day level (battery-powered cars, home recharging stations, etc.)?
Or are you speaking in terms of production efficiency?
I was thinking more of the production efficiency. The last statement (in the quiz) that only a few states produce more than enough wind energy for electricity in our country is silly. Of course the wind can do that, so can the sun, but we (society at large) do not have the technology available to efficiently or effectively capture, transport, and store said energy for consumption as electricity. [This is one reason that solar energy has never made a major break into the mass market, it just can't be stored long enough.] We certainly use plenty of power, although as you said, if "free & clean" electricity was ubiquitous, society would need to convert to more electric devices.
ReplyDeleteNote: I do believe that wind energy has great potential (I've been blown around in every state I've lived in). Also, when I look out my window and see hundreds (Yes, hundreds if not thousands!) of electricity generating windmills, I think several things. One "what an eyesore." Two "if they are so efficient, why are my bills so high?" Three "how come only two are spinning?"