Friday, September 19, 2008

Saucy Maids

A couple friends and I got together for a 3-day apple festival of our own...it's SAUCING season!

Monday morning at 8am we braved the cold and wet to pick apples in Rantoul. Thanks to Hurricane Ike whose remnants blew through here the day before, a bunch of the highest apples had been blown from the treetop and dropped onto soft, soggy ground. We just had to pick them up! When the kids started getting cranky, we quit picking and left with a record-breaking haul...about 42 gallons in 90 minutes. Here are Jessica and Ashley showing off the goods:

Untitled


After a quick change of clothes, we started saucing. The process goes like this: wash the apples, quarter them, cut out any REALLY gross parts (worms, rot, deep bruises, mold), boil them until soft, and run them through a strainer to remove all the peels, seeds, and stems. In a matter of minutes, you've got your first batch of steaming, pink applesauce...one of the most delicious comfort foods on this planet.

Our first day of saucing (11:30-3:00) produced 28 quarts of applesauce.

Tuesday evening (7:00-10:30), Jessica and I prepared and bottled 18 quarts of apple pie filling. What a treat! We made it in 7-quart batches, but any and all stray bits ended up in the 8th quart...our stomachs! We ate it fresh and warm topped with whipped cream. *sigh* It's a pity saucing season only comes once a year.

Wednesday afternoon (12:30-5:00) Ashley generously volunteered her immaculate kitchen and all of its contents to the cause. Saucing and canning this volume of apples will throw any house into disarray...sometimes for several days. Many, many thanks to Ashley for her patience. I missed the last 2 hours of the saucing frenzy due to a miserable trip to Alice's pediatrician. It was just a well-baby checkup, but SHEESH! Incidentally, I'm in the market for a new pediatrician :)

We got a little giddy when Ashley informed us we were down to the last few apples, and took a few giddy pictures.

Ashley, wielding the two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of edible and waste...discerner of the texture and flavor of each apple*

Untitled


Here's what I look like when people say, "Hey! Go stand next to those pots so I can get a picture!"

Untitled

Jessica and Parker at the table where all the apple action was taking place.

Untitled

By the end of the day, we had bottled another 24 quarts of applesauce. Exhausted, reeking of apples, we split the booty and headed home. It's a great joy that saucing season only comes once a year.

Untitled

Worth it? I say YES! Locally grown, hand-picked, fresh applesauce prepared with friends simply tastes richer to me. Hard work, sore muscles, trudging through soggy orchards, slopping through gallons of boiling water, wondering how people did this centuries ago, and knowing that we can still do it for ourselves...it's an experience I love. Love it, love it, love it.

Wanna learn how to do it?

*wording heavily adapted/borrowed from Hebrews 4:12 in the King James Version of the Bible.

8 comments:

  1. At first, you said, "It’s a pity saucing season only comes once a year." After it was all done, you said, "It’s a great joy that saucing season only comes once a year." It must be a love-hate thing, but it sounds like it's worthwhile! Look how domestic you are! I'm still too intimidated to try canning myself . . . maybe when I'm not working full-time I'll give it a go. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love-hate is an apt description.

    It's funny that you would consider canning as domestic. To the rest of the U.S., I'm pretty much categorized as a "fringe survivalist kook" any time I pull out a cloth bag at the grocery store. I don't dare tell them I harvest and bottle my own food TOO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, where did you pick all of the apples? I'm totally jealous- I think next year I want to come with you guys and learn how to do this, OK?

    P.S. We love our pediatrician- Dr. Maranon at Christie on Windsor. Matt loves her because she is trained in nutrition. She has been really great with Taylor and has not freaked out because of his minute size and tried ordering superfluous tests like many other doctors in town would have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an awesome time. Let me know next time you do something like that and I'd love to tag along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey didja leave some for us? I need to get out to Rantoul (at least I'm assuming that is where you got them). Have you tried doing Apple Butter? It is practically applesauce. I make mine in the crockpot so I don't overheat the house and it makes the house smell yummy but I imagine with as many apples as you made that wasn't a problem. Last time I went there to get apples they were too buggy - were they decent this year?

    Oh, and I second April's recommendation - we also have Dr Maranon and she has been great for us to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the LDS church building in Rantoul has opened their small orchard to the stake. There were many good apples left a week ago. Take a VERY tall ladder or a VERY strong tree-shaker when you go. Bugs weren't bad at all this year. We probably got 5 gallons of Meijer-worthy apples...beautiful, crisp, and sweet (Meijer is a grocery store in town with the most AMAZING produce you can find...consistently).

    Apple butter is the next great adventure. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cloth bags, while certainly still unusual in a mainstream grocery store, are becoming hip, especially online and especially in our age group. As is anything diy, homemade, etc. If you made a blog dedicated to the stuff you cook and garden, guaranteed it'd be pretty popular.

    Aren't the internets wonderful? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Btw, that's Heidi H's comment above, not the other Heidi's. :)

    ReplyDelete