Sunday, January 18, 2009

Happy Family

Alice and I are still in Utah for the next couple days. Alice has re-met a bunch of family she forgot she ever knew. She's talking a lot more, too, which makes these interactions MUCH more fun. Saturday night, Alice, Heather, and I spent a very entertaining few hours with my sister Erin and her darling pet rats, Chet and Javier. Alice is into mice these days, so we just told her they were mice. She fed them treats, gave them hugs, and was only scared once when Chet tried to climb onto her chest.

Driving home that night, I was singing Alice songs to keep her calm. I started singing a song I learned as a child called "Happy Family." It's a fun song because you can insert the names of family members as you go. Here's how we normally sing it:

I love ALICE, she loves me.

We love DADDY, yesiree.

He loves us and so you see,

We are a happy family.

Since Alice is talking more these days, I decided to pause at the names and see who SHE wanted to include in our family. Here's how it went on this ride home:

"I love..."

"Neh-nin!" (Erin)

"She loves me. We love..."

"MOUSE!"

"Yesiree. He loves us--"

"Deh-dur!" (Heather, another of my sisters)

"Uh,  Heather loves us and so--"

"Doggie!" (Heather has a little dog that Alice loves)

"Hm, and so does doggie. We are a happy family."

"Bappy mam-ee!" (Happy family!)

Welcome to the family, Erin, Chet, Javier, Heather, and Sasha!

2 comments:

  1. susan... o that was cute... bennett loves that song too but i never thought about seeing who he might choose to sing about! he loves to ask me to sing about whatever new word he has learned "on the bus" we have had to get pretty creative figuring out what marbles and christmas lights on the bus do!! so glad to be back in touch! liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so great to have you over! And I'm sure the ratties are wondering where that small person is who smelled so interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete