Thursday, July 16, 2009

CSA Share---July 15th and Produce Stand

Will and Alice both came along to pick up our CSA share this week. They were both so excited that they were fighting about whose CSA it really was..."Awice's CSA!" "No, it's not your CSA." "Awice's CSA!!" "Hey guys, it's called Prairieland CSA." *silence*

Great fun this week!

1 large bunch of beets with tops
1 large Napa cabbage
3 small summer squash
2 small broccoli
2 small cauliflower
1 medium head red romaine lettuce
1 medium eggplant
1 pickle-sized cucumber
1 large tomato

The cuke and the tomato were consumed within seconds of arriving home. Will and Alice would have eaten them at the CSA pick-up site if I hadn't been fast enough.

The beets will be pickled with spices as soon as I manage to get to the store for whole mustard seed, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, and apple cider vinegar. I have ALL my garden beets and previous CSA beets waiting in the fridge for those items to arrive.

Napa cabbage went straight into that delicious Asian-themed coleslaw again that I took to a potluck birthday party. I was delighted to see it wasn't all eaten, then crushed when I dropped the bowl and spilled it all over the floor :( Is it too much to hope for ONE more Napa cabbage this growing season?

Squash and broccoli are on hold for now.

I might be able to enjoy a salad again this week...we'll see.

The cauliflower and eggplant went into a brilliant Indian-themed curry that I found through the America's Test Kitchen website and modified slightly to include the veggies I had on-hand. By far, it's the best way I've ever had eggplant. Alice ate half a can of chickpeas and a quarter cup of coconut milk while she was "helping" me prepare dinner.

Alice and I stopped at a produce stand this morning, too. It's the only one in town, as far as I can tell, and it's very close to where many of our friends live, so I pass it a couple times a week. We picked up 3# of fresh green beans, a little seedless watermelon, and 1.5# of ugly tomatoes. Another customer of the stand rolled her eyes at Alice's fatigue-induced fit regarding the "wrong" watermelon going into our car. I still can't decide which bothered me more: Alice's tantrum or the woman's reaction :)

1 comment:

  1. Can't let someone's reaction to your child's behavior affect you. they have no clue to your whole plan. You know that you are doing a good job with her. I certainly know it.

    ReplyDelete