Woo hoo! I am so pleased with this CSA that I may never leave it :) If all the exclamation points below don't make it obvious, you should know I skipped with joy bringing the following home:
1 head of green cabbage the size of a croquet ball (perfect size!)
1 medium bunch of curly leaf kale (one of my favorite veggies!)
1 small bunch of green onions
3 yellow squash, about the length of my hand but skinny
5 small heads of broccoli (Woo hoo!!!)
1 small head of cauliflower
1 small head green leaf lettuce (ugh, ready for the lettuce to stop)
2 pickle-sized cucumbers
2 Alice hands full of rocks
We get rocks every week, actually. Alice collects them from the gravel driveway at the pick-up location. I suspect those rocks are the only reason Alice chooses to come with me.
The cabbage will keep for several weeks in the fridge. I'm hoping for a cold snap soon that will warrant soup, or I might go a little wild and stuff some cabbage leaves. There's always slaw, of course.
Kale, kale, kale. How I love thee! Flavorful, but not overpowering. Remains firm when cooked, but not tough. Kale is the best cooked leafy green I know! It's another one of those great soup veggies, but we're not exactly in soupy weather. I like it sauteed with garlic and a little oil, then eaten with fingers. Some veggies just taste better when you skip the fork. Really.
We have enough broccoli this week to freeze some of it. Nothing compares to the freshly-steamed flavor, but it's nice to have a pound or two in the freezer for those last-minute veggie additions to meals.
Cauliflower will go into a curry. Oh yes.
Cukes, lettuce, squash, and green onions are ideal for leafy green salads. Now if I could only bear eating one more leafy green salad!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Want to trade some lettuce for babysitting?
ReplyDeleteYou are soooo right about eating kale with your fingers. And cold spaghetti (minus the sauce), and salad straight from the bowl.
ReplyDeleteHere's my favorite thing to do with green cabbage: http://www.recipezaar.com/shread-head-butter-and-bread-362673
And have you tried roasting cauliflower? It's amazing: toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast at 400 until golden. YUM!! It's not great in the summer, because you have to heat up your oven, but dang, it's tasty.
Wow that is great! You could put some kale in a fruit smoothie. Ok I might be spending to much time with Erika :) I learned to make bread though, and I am excited!
ReplyDeleteHeidi's post confused me because I knew I hadn't posted about kale yet...
ReplyDeleteAnyway, was going to say that you convinced me to buy kale this week. I like greens myself, but it's a pain to convince everyone else in the family to eat them. But the littlest kid didn't seem to care, at least. :)