Thursday, September 2, 2010

Big Butt Baby Pants

I did it! Sort of.

The most recent experiment in my sewing adventures has been a pair of Big Butt Baby Pants developed by Rae Hoekstra. They are pants specifically designed for cloth-diapered babies. For those unfamiliar with the wardrobe requirements of cloth-diapered babies, here's a summary:
  • Cloth diapers are bulkier than 'sposies, so you have to buy bottoms 1-2 sizes larger than you normally would for a sposie-bottomed child. No big deal, usually, but that makes the pants too long and the shorts look like high-water pants...kinda awkward.
  • Current fashion dictates that pants must have a low waist and snug fit. Uh, low waist? Snug fit? Cloth diapers generally rise up higher than 'sposies, often to the belly button. A low-waisted pant with a big chunk of cloth diaper hanging over the top looks like low-riders...kinda awkward.
So, the Big Butt Baby Pants seemed a perfect solution. They are easy to make, too, so I "whipped" one out in 3 days (I'm actually proud of myself for this).

Ta daaaaaaa! Here's the front:

And the back. The funky, round panel makes it extra roomy:

(The fabric was a nice find at Goodwill...someone threw out a perfectly good set of homemade, light-canvas-like curtains!) The stripe symmetry was completely on accident. I like it, though. They should fit the little man, right?



Ugh! They're too tight! They accentuate the obvious: "Hi, I have a big bottom!" Not to mention they're pretty tough to pull on and off. Checking out the other picts posted of these pants and the kids wearing these pants, I think my mistake is a sizing one. This is the 6-12 month size. Robert is almost 5 months old. Well, he's a BIG 5 months (i.e. 95th percentile for length and well above 95th percentile for weight. The doctor's exact words were, "Well, he seems to be creating his own weight curve up here above the 95th."), but I thought a 12-month size ought to cover him, right? Not quite. His belly oozes over the waistband and he has a hard time bending over to sit.

Is this the face of a comfortable baby?


*SIGH*

I'm not ready to give up yet. The pants themselves look great and I'm proud of them. They could use a wider waistband, though. I'll try out the next larger size (12-18 months) in a lighter weight fabric and see if that helps at all. Perhaps a more neutral pattern/color as well...that will make Bobby happier, anyway ;)

2 comments:

  1. I think they look great. The stripe symmetry makes them look professional. Too bad they don't fit. I am curious--could this pattern be done with a knit also? I am thinking you could and then you'd have more give too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are good lookin'. I think if the butt panel was the same color as the legs, it would blend in better. Give it another go! We all have three days to spare, right?

    ReplyDelete