Alice's preschool class held their Christmas Program tonight. When I heard she would be playing the part of Mary, my heart skipped a beat. Was it a twisted sense of pride I felt? Ugh. Yeah. Like Mary is somehow better than an angel or a shepherd or a sheep? Double ugh. The feeling actually alerted me to the unconscious need I have to hear other people approve of my children...sounds like I've got some work to do on my mommy self-esteem ;) Anyway, enough about me.
Alice was overwhelmed by all the kids and their families. Her M/W/F class (7 kids) was combined with the exuberant T/Th class (10 kids), so Alice only recognized a few faces. She wouldn't even make eye contact with her teacher. The same teacher that she hug-tackled as soon as we walked in.
Bobby recorded the whole event, but I've created a shorter version. The first few seconds is a song, then the kids say, "While Mary was walking, what did she see?" and Alice (after a long pause and a visual reminder from her teacher) responds, "I see a donkey looking at me." Then they sing again.
I put the rest of the video in fast-forward (3x normal) to shorten the time AND demonstrate how little Alice actually moved throughout the rest of the performance. Her angel friend, Nadia, was all over the place. You'll see, you can't miss her. Alice mostly licked her lips, stood up and down as directed, and spent a little time exploring the manger at the end.
Overall, it was quite the educational experience for me as a mom and a preschool parent. It unearthed all sorts of things for me to ponder. Oh wait, it isn't about me. Alice mostly endured it for the brownie at the end, Robert flirted with the young girl sitting behind us, and Bobby manned the camera. A whole family affair. Wish you were there :)
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wish we had been too. Can't wait to see you all.
ReplyDeleteLooks like fun. Nadia is a hoot, with those demonstrative arms. Very dramatic. Alice is such a well-behaved child. Even when she poked around in the manger, she looked around to see if she'd get in trouble. /?l[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[' (I step away for a second, and Atty jumps right in. He says hi.)
ReplyDeleteDon't beat yourself up for being pleased that Alice got chosen as Mary. It's a special role (she has a NAME, for one), and there's only one. You're not needy for being proud. Just as long as you don't feel slighted if next year she's a sheep or an angel. Everyone gets a turn. Lighten up! :)
That's really adorable. When Alice looked in the manger, and checked for watchers, that was truly adorable. I can't wait to see you guys again for Christmas! How fun that will be!
ReplyDelete