Monday, December 6, 2010

"The Dress"

Here are the only existing pictures of Alice in the red princess dress that I sewed for her this Halloween. She's trick-or-treating at Bobby's work (yeah, they mostly wear t-shirts and shorts there. Nerds rock!). I'm a little ashamed to share the picts, but maybe I'll help someone else avoid the same mistakes. It's HUGE on her (size 4-5 in a costume actually means closer to size 6). I've got the skirt pinned up (poorly) in the back so she doesn't trip over it constantly. She still tripped over it constantly. The headband was an afterthought (obviously) and people had to ask her what she was. She didn't mind telling everyone over and over that she was a princess.




Ugh! What a mess of a dress! It didn't look nearly so bad on Alice's 5-year-old friend. Maybe Alice just has to grow into it a little more. Until then, I'm hiding my shame in the deepest, darkest closet available. Curse those shimmery costume fabrics and froo-froo dress details!

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome, Suz! I mean it. So the dress is too big, but here's why I'm totally impressed: (1) you sewed it yourself, (2) it looks complicated, and (3) it's FROOFY! It's not pink, but YOU still sewed something FROOFY for your little girl who loves froofy things. You are the best mom EVER! And the shoes match! Alice will get to play dress-up with that dress for years. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Heidi. I'm just impressed that you made it, cause sewing scares me. She looked like she was still having fun, and now you have learned what NOT to do next time. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete