In my decluttering, I discovered a stash of clothes that Robert has just started fitting. Width-wise, anyway. I simply moved them from the "will wear soon" pile to the "alteration sewing" pile. He still can't really wear them until I conquer the blind hem stitch on my sewing machine. I did begin an attempt to blind-hem some stretchy velvet knit, which is a pain to work with anyway. It wasn't a pleasant experience. I decided to learn on an easier fabric type, then realized that I will need to adjust the needle, the stitch, the thread, the bobbin, and the tension for EACH piece of clothing to be altered. Is a pair of 18-month PJ pants really worth the hassle? Really?! I'll have to get back to you on that.
And now for Hot Spot #4.
This week's hot spot from the Project: Simplify challenge is to declutter and clean the pantry, the fridge, and as much of your kitchen as you can handle in a week *groan* Anything but my fridge! Nooooooo! I signed up to declutter. Not. To. Clean.
(grumble grumble grumble)
This is something I REALLY need to work on. It doesn't help that I'm a food-storage-lovin' Mormon with not only a kitchen full of food, but two full size bedroom closets and a couple shelves in the garage to boot (side note: our Realtor thought we were a bit crazy until he figured out the LDS thing). Does the gigantic freezer in the garage count, too? Cuz' it could sure use a defrost right about now.
So, that's my challenge this week. A real challenge. Ugh.
Here's the attack plan, I guess, if you're gonna make me do it.
- Organize and update the pantry in Robert's closet. Throw away expired food. Throw away or donate food and food types we haven't eaten in 6 months. Yeah, even the perfectly good pickle relish I received as a gift. You too, brown rice from 2004, I'm talking to you.
- Sort through the chest freezer. Throw away foods from more than 2 years ago (i.e. garden produce I thought I would incorporate into our diet later...nuh uh). Defrost. Decide on a way to organize it better and keep track of what's in there.
- Clean. The. Stupid. Fridge. Wipe out the drawers, shelves, and interior/exterior surfaces. Stupid fridge.
- I guess I'll clean out the microwave too. It's been, um, several years.
freezer totally counts, get to work! I'm going to... any second now. I promise to get rid of at least 3 mugs, even if I still hold on to the one I got from the hospital when D was born... and the one from J's birth... and well, N's too... and surely I better have the one from G's hospital stay. Good thing I have those mugs from Six Flags saved!
ReplyDeleteI've got the same pantry/food storage problems... a lot of our food storage is in the garage, where we never want to spend a lot of time organizing (cold, hot, cramped, whatever), and there's all sorts of other complications, like... the dried fruits/vegs that seemed like a good idea to buy, but I don't know how to slowly work my way through a gallon can of dried fruit and keep the rest fresh in the meantime.
ReplyDeleteI also know what you mean about trying to fix clothes that are too big or "broken" but mendable! I'm too lazy to blind hem things though. Not sure if this will be helpful to the pieces you're hemming, but I've used this technique for hemming jeans (and pants). http://www.daciaray.com/?p=38
You are officially my hero. I am so impressed that you're doing these challenges. And if you ever need me to watch your kids while you clean (cause I know I would), call me. Will and Kayla would love it.
ReplyDelete