Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bob, Bob, Baby Bob

The boy of a thousand names: Robert, Bob, Baby Bob, Buddy, Bud, Buddy boy, Boy, Buddy boo, Boo, Mister, Mister blister, Goofy guy, Boy-o, Silly billy, Little Bobby, Roberto, and sometimes Rob when Alice feels like it. He seems to respond to all of them, which makes me think it's my tone, not my words, that gets his attention.

  

(I love how he took a bite out of each cracker before finishing any of them)

Robert is a watchful fellow, aware of subtleties in communication and relationships. That pleases me to no end and I can't pinpoint why.

I smile gleefully and rub my hands together (in my mind, of course) every time I see him figure something out on his own. He's been doing a lot of figuring lately. Alice was making a paper crown at the kitchen table the other day. Robert pushed a chair right next to her and tried to climb up on it. I was astonished. Learning how to use a fork is one thing, but planning and carrying out a strategy to play with the markers is an entirely different story. He's only one! Another day, we had some friends over and I offered them some homemade popsicles (fruit juice in an ice cube tray). There weren't enough popsicles for Robert to have one. Robert was occupied with a snack in his chair so I thought he wouldn't notice. The second he saw the ice cube tray heading for the sink, he freaked! He was asking for his popsicle and I sheepishly had to admit that there was none. That made him even more mad. Poor guy. Lesson learned, though. Robert watches carefully and he always wants a piece of the action. Especially popsicle action.

He's so goofy! All he has to do is grin that squinty, open-mouthed sigh of his and we all bust up laughing. Sometimes it comes out of nowhere, especially at dinner. When he's in a playful mood, he'll tackle one of us with an open mouth. Alice loves it and will wrestle him on the floor until they're both tired and slobbery. 

  

Robert is more fun than he's ever been. He's just a wonder to watch. He's recently begun asserting himself as an equal to Alice, which gives us lots of practice sharing and taking turns. Stools are a hot item around here. The rules are "no snatching toys" and "everyone gets a turn with non-special toys." Robert will want something Alice is playing with and she'll suddenly clutch it to her chest and freak out. I've discovered that validation goes a long way with Alice. I address Robert and let him know that it's Alice's turn right now and he can have a turn when Alice is done. Three times out of four, Alice will happily hand the toy to Robert within a few seconds, "Here, Robert, it's your turn." One time out of four, Alice wants to play with it longer and I devise other distractions for him.

Anyway, he's an interesting character. A new personality in the Evans household. He's sick today with a fever (his check-up immunizations appear to be functioning) and currently taking a nap, so that's why I can blog about him to my heart's content.  Bobby and Alice are at church. Maybe I'll take a quick rest, too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment