Saturday, May 14, 2011

First Swim of the Season

Experiencing a bit of a heat wave last week, Alice asks if we can "finally" swim. She has asked about swimming since the sun peeked out again in March. Well, I don't know how long it will be before the plumber arrives*, so I fill the kiddie pool with freezing cold hose water with the intent to leave it in the sun to warm up for a swim later that afternoon (I learned that trick from my sis-in-law...brilliant!). The kids apparently can't wait that long. Alice pops into her swimsuit and Robert just pops in:








Robert doesn't mind the cold water as much as he does the slathering of sunscreen. Alice doesn't get in deeper than her ankles. Robert plays with cups while Alice plays her imaginary games all over the place. The funniest thing is that even though they are playing completely different games in completely different ways, neither one wants to be in the pool without the other. I sit on the back porch and fold laundry while they play away. I watch the beginnings of a sibling relationship and it makes me smile. Here's a 45-second clip of their side-by-side play:

 

*The plumber took 3 hours, by the way. Glad I wasn't holding my breath. Turns out the procedure they had scheduled a week ago to perform that day was no longer allowed by their insurance as of...a week ago! Why they made me wait three hours on the day just to have the guy tell me at my front door that he couldn't do anything, I'll never know...or appreciate ;)  But hey! The kids got to swim. That's one thing they can do this summer while I'm mucking about in the garden. Here's another delightful idea I'm itching to try, too. Maybe this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment