Wednesday, December 26, 2012

3-month-old comparison




Why do I feel compelled to compare my three children's looks at every age? I think it's my scientist brain trying to predict James' future personality and looks based on the two data points I already have. These exercises are unsatisfying, however, because I'm coming to realize that James is not somewhere in the known spectrum between Alice and Robert. He is a NEW entity altogether. There's no knowing what kinds of kinks and quirks our dear James-y is going to throw into the mix. Unsettling.

I love his smiles and his subdued, throaty laugh. I just wish I knew more about him. I wish I could play with him more. He's just not at a playing age yet. The most common "happy" look he gives is simply not crying. He is taking more interest in his siblings, though. They can get him to smile and coo. 

We have worked hard this last week to give Robert our best attention and time. It appears to be paying off. With every new development in James, we've had to adjust other things at home. Buddy has had a hard time with that. I can't just say, "No, Buddy, I'm too tired." every time I feel like it. I've had to push my own limits a bit more and scrape the bottom of the barrel to find a little more patience and unselfishness. No fun in the moment, but it pays off overall, creating a more patient and unselfish Buddy. I've seen a change this last week, anyway: fewer meltdowns, a few more instances of talking it out.

1 comment:

  1. This picture of Alice looks so much like Bobby's mother! Never noticed it before like that.
    And of course all your children are beautiful and bright in their own unique ways. I understand your wanting to know them better. It will come as they grow and continue to unfold who they are. Isn't motherhood the best?!

    ReplyDelete